As consumer needs began to shift, The Oxford was in need of an update. In 1979, Charles Callaway purchased The Oxford and closed its doors for restoration. Dana Crawford – the mastermind behind the restoration of Larimer Square – joined Callaway the following year.
William Muchow & Associates, a Denver architectural firm, was selected to engineer the restoration. Bill Muchow took a special interest in the project because his father worked as a tile mason for the annex construction of 1912.
Completely updated and modernized for the twentieth century, The Oxford transformed while still retaining its historic charm. Carpets were matched to the original design and chandeliers were stripped of paint to reveal sterling silver details. The former site of the restaurant, barber shop, or coffee shop was transformed into the Sage Room. The famous Cruise Room was returned to its Art Deco zenith.
Three years of restoration and $12 million later, The Oxford reopens its doors to the public as Denver’s Grand Boutique Hotel on June 19, 1983. New features included the conversion of the annex into professional offices. Now a registered landmark on the National Register of Historic Places, this Denver staple had finally returned.